The Walker Literacy Center works with some of our most at-risk students and families. We believe education is a right and that many Detroit children are not being provided the support they need.
Please donate to help us change the world one student at a time. You can contribute any amount Or you can sponsor a student.
To sponsor a student find a group (your office colleagues, your book club, your church group, your child's class, your extended family) and divide $250 by number of people.
You can also purchase items off our Amazon wish list. We are always adding books with diverse characters and/or books of high interest to our students.
How does your donation make an impact?
No Matter what amount you are able to give, every donation makes a difference!
Thanks to you, the Walker Literacy Center can continue to provide free after school and summer instruction to the children of Detroit.
The majority of the WLC funding comes from generous donors like you.
Now that our first location is furnished, this is the approximate cost to fund it:
- $250 per week (approximately $10,000 per year) pays for tutors so that we can provide small group and 1:1 support. All paid tutors live in Detroit.
- $0 goes to other staffing. Volunteers and Pro bono work provides us with marketing, HR, Lead tutor, bookkeeping and more.
- $75 per week (approximately $2,500 per year) for healthy snacks. We provide children with healthy snacks such as cheese sticks, fresh fruit and vegetables, organic chocolate milk boxes, and applesauce.
- $20 per child each session (approximately $2,000 per year) for a take home literacy kit. We want our kids to have all the supplies they need to practice their skills at home. That is why we provide them with pencils, journals, books and more to keep at home.
- $1,000 per year for office supplies such as paper, copies/ink, expo markers, pencils, stickers.
- $1,000 a year to continuously replace and add to our book collection. We appreciate used book donations however, we believe our children deserve books with diverse characters so that the can see themselves in the books they read.
Or mail your check to: Walker Literacy Center
P.O. box 206
Farmington, MI 48332
Email Us: firstname.lastname@example.org